Monday, October 5, 2020

What I Read in September


Happy Monday! I am so excited to share what I read last month with you. In between work, school and overtime, I was able to finish FIVE books (including 2 audiobooks). This month's selection is quite the variety and I truly did love ALL of these books. 

One of Us is Next  by Karen M. McManus ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is the second in a series and I couldn't put this one down. One of Us is Lying was the first in the series and I read that back in 2017. I excited to read this one, remembering how good of a writer Karen McManus is and she did not disappoint. This is definitely teen fiction but its a story that grabs you and you keep guessing until the end. Quick and easy to read.

The Holdout by Graham Moore ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I picked this book up not knowing really anything about it. I was drawn to this book by the cover. A lone chair on a red background. I was intrigued and as I dove in, it kept pulling me in deeper and deeper. This book jumped back and forth between characters and then between the past and present. I love books like this because I feel like it gives me the full story not just one side. This is 12 Angry Men set in the 2000s with suspense.

The Red Bandanna: A Life. A Choice. A Legacy by Tom Rinaldi ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I specifically started this book on September 9, hoping to finish on September 11th. I heard about Welles Crowther from ESPN last year when they posted a video about Crowther and what he did on September 11th and the significance of his Red Bandanna. It was such a powerful story and I wanted to know more. I didn't want to put this book down, it was powerful and moving. Be sure to have tissues near by. 

and onto my two audiobooks....

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (Audiobook)⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book was AMAZING! Over 17 hours of listening to this and I wanted more. The twists and turns and suspense was amazing. I knew very little about this book when I picked it; only thing I knew was it was described as Agatha Christie meets Groundhog day. The narrator- James Cameron Stewart- was amazing and was the perfect person to read this book.

Dear Girls: Intimate Takes, Untold Secrets & Advice for Living Your Best Life by Ali Wong, Justin Hakuta (Audiobook) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
If you need a good laugh, go listen to this book. Its read by Ali Wong and I was laughing out loud in public listening to this book. I loved Ali Wong in her Netflix specials and this book is a continuation of it. She shares some really heartfelt stories and I felt like I was sitting down with her as she told these stories. 

Whew! Those were all so good. I am just about done listening to Kind is the New Classy by Candance Cameron Bure. I have a few books lined up already and I cannot wait to see what else I can find. 

Looking for a good book to read this fall? Check out my past book reviews:

Favorite Books/ August Reads/ March Reads/ February Reads/ January Reads/
A Years Worth of Reading/ Recent Reads/ I Like (Big) Books and I Cannot Lie
Short and Sweet Book Reviews/ Wellth: New Life Currency/ The Power of Broke

What are you currently reading? Go to the comments and add yours, I love seeing what everyone else is reading.

[[A well read woman is a dangerous creature]]

-gabrielle

PS. do you follow me on Goodreads- you can keep up with all my reads there too! 

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Ali Wong's book! I tried to read The 7 1/2 Deaths a while back but couldn't get into it. I may revisit it again, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try listening to the audiobook of 7 1/2 deaths. I think it made a difference.

      Delete