Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Crohn's Confidental: My Support Team and How They Help Me



Having a support team is so critical when you have a chronic illness. They can provide you with so many valuable things-companionship, advocacy, being a sounding board and love.

I have a great support team- my parents, family and close friends. My team has been there every step of this crazy ride. I have lost count how many times my parents have slept in uncomfortable chairs, made numerous phone calls on my behalf and helped tell my symptoms to the never ending line of doctors. My family has reached out to me when they know I am not feeling well, sending prayers and their love. My friends have been there to provide me with support of good vibes and kind words. The people on my support team all have different and unique ways in helping me. I treasure each and every one of them.

They never thought twice about being there for me and they were always ready to help with whatever was needed. I am very blessed to have them and I hope and pray that you all have a great support team as well.
Waiting at one of many LabCorp Appointments
Here are some tips I've learned along the way:

How to Pick Your Support Team
Your support team is anyone you truly trust. The easiest place to look for your support team is your family- your spouse, parents, close relatives and close friends. These people are the ones you will want to be around when you are not feeling well. Pets are great for support too. They can provide you with emotional support and they are perfect when you need a buddy to snuggle with.

You want someone who will bring you calmness during a crazy time and you will want to be 100% honest with them, they should know you pretty well.

What Can You Support Team Do For You 
They can be your advocates when you cannot advocate for yourself; they can be with you while you are waiting in the hospital for a test, in the infusion room and when you are staying in the hospital. They can be your sounding board when things get too much and they can provide some welcome distraction for you.

Your support team can provide you with a distraction from the medical settings, provide comic relief and let you escape, mentally, even if its for a few minutes.

There is a really funny story I remember- When I was in my 2 week hospital stay in July of 2015, I was really sad about it all. My parents were sitting down in the room texting friends and family asking for prayers and good thoughts. They were both so engrossed in their phones, I was dozing on and off; all of the sudden I hear my phone chime and I look down and its a text message. It was from my dad and it read "Can you please pray Gabby she is in the hospital." I started hysterically laughing. I couldn't stop. When I could finally get the words out to let my dad know I'm Gabby, they joined in the laughter. This is exactly what we needed at that moment- laughter to remind us that we are all together, even though its in the hospital, we still can have our usual fun.
2016: before getting a good report after a procedure
Asking for Support
This is hard for me; I'm stubborn. Asking for help in my mind is a weakness; I always think I can do everything on my own. I know I can't, but I want to try. Your support team is there for support, don't be embarrassed or sad that you are asking for help; be happy that you have people around you that are will to help.

If you need help walking after surgery, picking up something at the food store, or just being there sitting with you, its OKAY! You don't have to be strong all the time- your support team will be more than willing to help you out.

Having support with your chronic illness is key
Whoever is on your support team, they are there because you need them and more importantly, they want to be there. They love you and most importantly support you. Going through tough times with your support team next you is a lot easier than being by yourself. Be open to the support and help; it will benefit you in the long run.


[[Needing help isn't a sign of weakness, its a sign of being human]]


-gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment